I've been using BlogEngine.NET for my blog for a while but I haven't taken the time to update it.  This week, I added HTTPS support and got into issues for I decided it was time to move to something newer.  I look at WordPress but importing BlogML is very tricky and I wanted to stay in the .NET world if possible.  This is where I found Blogifier, a light-weight open source blog written in ASP.NET Core and is BlogEngine.NET's successor.

Blogifier has built-in support to import BlogEngine.NET thru the syndication feed.  I simply had to change the quantity of posts in the feed, open the feed in Chrome, copy and save the XML in a text file and import that file with the Blogifier RSS import tool in the admin section.

I ran into an issue where the import would fail after importing 80 posts because I had some duplicate titles so I simply modified the Import method of the RssService class and wrapped the code inside the foreach in a try catch so it would continue and ignore duplicate titles.

Data is stored in a SQLite database by default but you can change it for SQL Server if you want.  If you use SQLite, I recommend using Erik Ejlskov Jensen's SQLite/SQL Server Compact Toolbox to manage and query your database inside Visual Studio.

For the layout, I did a couple of minor CSS changes and got rid of the image appearing to the left of each post when displayed in a list (home page and search results).  I also edited the _Layout.cshtml to insert the Google Analytics JavaScript code.  That's about it.

I then deleted the content of my Azure Web App, after making sure I had backups (App Service Backup and FTP download) and published the code using Visual Studio's Publish tooling.  Note that I imported the BlogEngine.NET content locally before publishing to Azure so I needed to deploy the database by selecting Always Copy for the app.db file.  Published the project and reverted the setting to Do Not Copy so I don't overwrite my database in further deployments. 

I have 3 IFTTT applets posting to Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn using my blog RSS feed.  I simply had to edit them, replacing the URL with blog.guybarrette.com/rss.

I'm super happy because the whole process took me just a few hours!  Extra special thanks to Francis for this great open source project.

Edit: I had to fix an issue with the code generating the RSS feed adding "/blog/" to the links.  I simply edited the RssService class and replaced the occurrences with "/".